Last week I spent in the studio cleaning and grinding the steel rings for "Position." The edges of the rings were cut with a torch making for a very rough edge. I had to grind them down to achieve a cleaner looking edge.
I also cleaned the surface of the steel with a wire cup brush attached to my grinder. This prepares the surface to accept the primer and paint later on.
It's a little hard to see in these photos, but on the left is the before and on the right is the after.
After I finished these six rings, I started to weld the pieces together. I finished the top two and bottom two rings.
Below is an action shot of me welding the bottom two together. I am only welding on the inside of the rings, so you see a nice clean edge on the outside. The welding is the fun part...much easier on the wrists!