Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Catching up on Sculpture by the Sea stuff


It takes a while to sketch out for others what is ofter already in my head. This is a picture with more specific dimensions of "Pillumn" I will be getting my materials this week to start fabricating the piece. I can't wait to get my hands dirty!

The last couple of days (off and on), I have spent working through the logistics and paperwork involved for the exhibit I am a part of on Bondi Beach in a couple of short months. Below are some thoughts I sent off to the Education manager of the show. I will be talking to some school kids about my work and and answer questions etc. At their request, I also sent a bunch of process/working images of me making art.
 

materials and techniques, processes involved

In my art I use many different processes. If I am making something for myself without a place in mind for it to go, first I go out hunting for my materials. I used salvaged industrial steel that I repurpose into sculptures. I usually think of the pieces I choose and put together to make sculpture as a puzzle to be solved. I like to make the form interact in ways that make you question how they are standing. I play with the tension between the heavy steel and gravity. I try to make the steel appear light. 

When I am working on piece for a specific purpose, I will start at the drawing board and sketch out ideas. I like to know where something is going before I design a sculpture so that it reflects the environment in the right way. After I sketch it, I will create a maquette and this becomes a more solid model for the bigger piece that I will build. and always remember measure twice cut once!

To make the sculptures, I weld, cut, paint, grind, smooth, prime, spray, clean, move, package, hang, bolt down, drill, plan, sketch, deliver, wire brush etc.

I make my sculptures out of salvaged industrial steel. I want to expand my materials and work more with stone and wood in the future.

ideas and inspirations, practice as an artist

I never am "off work." Many people leave work and 5pm and don't think about it until the next morning. I am constantly seeing and reacting to things that affect me and work their way into my aesthetic. I do not mean this as a bad thing that I am never off of work, because I love what I do, so it isn't really like  work to me. Thanks is the trade off of being an artist – you get to wake up each day inspired and full of passion for your life's work.

I am interested in making art to go in public spaces. I think that many people like art, but feel that museums and galleries are stuffy. I think art can and should enhance your day by seeing it when you walk down the street or at the park. I also think the most successful pieces of public art are those that engage the viewer.  Humans are naturally curious and so please feel free to touch my art! If I make something that makes someone want to feel it, then I think that I have made a good sculpture

No comments: