Thursday, July 1, 2010

What? It's July?

Whew! It has been a long while since I made time for this little blog. Whoops! So here is the first update of what happened in the last few months...a lot of cool stuff!

I am excited to be in this year's Lakefront Sculpture Exhibit. My sculpture is named Five. In keeping with my series of pillars or columns, Five is another tribute to my family. I am fortunate to have four siblings and this sculpture has one ring for each of us. We may look like we are going to topple over, but welded together, we make a balanced unit.

Alderman Tom Tunney was kind enough to sponsor my sculpture in the garden that he donated to the city, Ann Sather Garden (Irving Park and Seminary in the 44th Ward of Chicago). It is a beautiful public space that has lovely plantings and plenty of room for you to go and enjoy the outdoors and my sculpture.

Below is a story in pictures of the process of making Five.

 
Once again my handy gantry helps to make another large scale sculpture. I'd say the hardest part of building this piece was getting the right angles in place to make it sturdy enough to stand but also still appear lighter that the .5" steel wall.

 
Sincere thanks to the guys at Commercial Pallet for their help lifting Five onto the trailer.
The opening at Sedgewick Studios was a huge success! Every artist was present and there was a great turnout. Everyone had a lovely evening and I met some nice new people that went out of their way to talk to me and tell me about how they liked my work (we had to wear name tags with a picture of our sculpture on them to identify us as artists). It is always a nice complement when children talk to me about my art... I can trust them more, ya know?

All in all I am thrilled to be a part of this wonderful exhibit and very thankful to everyone who helped make it possible. Please frequent the businesses that sponsor this event! Below are some photos of this year's brochure.

No comments: