Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gettin' ready for Chattanooga

Yesterday was  productive day as I prepared for my road trip south. I went to Hi Grade Paint on Kedzie and Elston to get the Break Through product. It was recommended to me by a sculpture buddy, Charles Yost. It was recommended to him by a blacksmith friend of his. I hope it is as good as they say because I have spent a few days driving around the city and making calls to get it. I think karma smiled on me though because Hi Grade Paint ended up calling me back when they got the product in. Now when I returned there yesterday, they didn't charge me for one of the cans I bought...they said it wasn't in inventory, yet. They will now be my paint store of choice, even though it is a bit out of my way to go there!

When I got to my studio, I put a rust inhibitor on Ready to Scale and allowed it to dry. Then I added a clear satin coating of Break Through to it. The finish looks really nice and this will protect it from Mother Nature during the year it will spend in Chattanooga along side the Tennessee River.

I also put a coating of Break Through on the inside of the main piece of pipe of my sculpture. This is easier said than done. If I was smarter, I would have done this prior to putting the sculpture together, but hindsight is 20/20. And when I built it I didn't plan on it being out or doors. I basically put cup-fulls inside the pipe an they had to carefully roll around the sculpture so that it coated the entire inside. Any sculptor veteran would have laughed at this process.  Oh well, I got the job done! Even though the inside of the pipe is not seen, I wanted to respect the concrete pad it will be sitting on for a year and do my best to inhibit the rust so it will not stain the concrete. 

After I finished up with that I went to get my trailer tail lights hooked up to my explorer and since I had all the parts, (I just didn't want to install it and do something wrong because electricity makes me nervous) the guy didn't charge me a dime and he wouldn't take a tip!

After getting about $100 of free labor/product, I did what any girl would do, I went and spent my savings on a pedicure. Good day!

No comments: